CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 31, 2008

What God Is Teaching Me

Originally Posted 5/28/07
Let me see if I can explain this in a way that makes sense. God has given me talents. I'm not saying this to brag, because God gives talents to everyone, liberally. What I am saying is that now, at the age of 33, I have learned what these talents are for! Amazing, right?
Most of my life I used my talents in what the Bible calls "selfish ambition". Ambition to be famous (or whatever) for my own gain. I call this the Diva Phase.
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Phil. 2:3
This can lead you to all sorts of trouble. If you don't believe me, look at the celebrity articles in the news.
"For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice." James 3:16
Then there was a time when I buried my talents. This is equally non-productive. It is called the Ostrich Phase.
"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.' "His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. " 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' Matthew 25:24-30
Through various lessons from several people (including Veggie Tales-Lord of the Beans-great story!), all orchestrated by the Master, I have discovered that these gifts all have a purpose! I am to use all of them to serve Him and others. Like everything else in life, when you find purpose, it is liberating. And as the rest of the story in Matthew reads, when you use your talents, God gives you more! Amazing God we serve.
I can now sing with abandon, act and paint with purpose. Not only that, but it brings great joy and peace to know that God finds me worthy of teaching. He thinks I can still learn things, despite my past record of stupidity.
What should this phase be called? Any ideas?

0 comments: