CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 31, 2008

In Defense of Freaks

Originally Posted 3/14/08
When I was changed as a teenager and began to follow Christ, my parents were less than thrilled. Not that they had anything against God. In fact, it was my Mother’s daily prayer that her family follow Jesus. However, it was a change for them.
In their defense, I think it was a lot to do with a long-standing rivalry between churches in my hometown. I also think the sudden dedication to worship and study may have scared them a little. Let’s face it, tact was not exactly my strong suit back then. Fortunately, God taught me enough of it to ensure my survival to adulthood. (Those of you that knew me as a teenager, and are laughing, I know who you are.)
Contrary to rumors, I was not brainwashed. I was not beaten over the head with doctrine or told what to do. What I saw was something that I had never seen before. I saw people completely devoted to God, His Word, and His church. And I saw that it worked. I saw a group of flawed people, doing their best to follow God’s plan for their lives. They loved and defended one another like a family. And it drew me to them.
The older I get, the more I realize that such a freakishly radical dedication is necessary. Because just as God pursues us with His love, Satan is pursuing us with lies and distractions. Here’s what it sounds like-"Don’t you deserve some time for yourself?" and "You’ve done more than other people. You’re a good person. That’s all that matters." I’m ashamed to admit how many times I’ve believed this junk from him. And he constantly whispers this noise in our ears, until we will do nearly anything just to shut him up.
God, in His infinite wisdom, knew that we needed the church. God does not need our worship or our praise, although He deserves both. He didn’t create the church for Him, He created it for us! May I be frank with you? (That is such a M*A*S*H cue line, but I won’t go there now.) There is no safe place in this world, and any security found here is an illusion. The only safety is found in a close relationship with God, and in the arms of a group of people who want to help you get to Heaven. Period.
So go out there and be a freak! Be just as devoted and dedicated as you possibly can be. God will bless that-I promise you.

0 comments: