CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Journey Chronicles: Day Four, I Remember Why I Live in Texas

Originally Posted 2/2/08

Next we headed to my other Dad's house. I have two Dads-Daddy, the one who raised me, and Dad (Jim), my birth father. We were getting close to Nebraska at this point! Do you know that it is cold there in January? Especially to people who are acclimated to Texas weather. -5 in the morning. Yikes!
Dad is a war hero, although he wouldn't like me calling him that. He is a Purple Heart Vietnam Vet, and commander of his VFW Post. Despite all that they have been through, both my Dads have a good outlook on life. A lot of people could learn from that.
We sit & talk about history & politics, and he has a great sense of humor. My brothers have made a hobby of tormenting him, and they are quite inventive. I hear that it's only payback, but I'm trying to stay neutral on that. I do respect their creativity, though. Dad is also a great cook, which makes it even more fun to go to his house.
While we were there, he introduced my boys to the quintessential toy for boys-a remote controlled farting bear. I'm sure this will be at the top of their Christmas lists next year. They spent a good amount of time throwing the bear into our room, yelling "Incoming!" and setting him off.
Hannah, meanwhile, had her own little "apartment" thing going on in their basement. She would really liked to have moved in, I think.
We just happened to be there on my Grandma's 80th birthday, so we went to see her as well. She has gotten to see all her kids, grandkids & great-grandkids this year. We had a good visit, although Gideon was really testing my patience while we were there. I think he stayed up too late playing with the bear.
After lunch, we packed up & headed southwest. Five hour drive this time. Fortunately, the kids tired themselves out playing in the snow & slept a lot for a lot of the drive.

0 comments: