CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

In Defense of Freaks, Part 2

The last time I addressed this subject, I came to the defense of Jesus Freaks. This time, I am defending another type of freak-the home school family.
Last night, my daughter had her first debate about home schooling. I must say, she conducted herself admirably. Honestly, this exchange bothered me more than it bothered her. Mainly because I thought we were past all this. It seems that the only anti-home school holdouts are the NEA. Of course, home schools are a threat to their livelihood. They have reason to fear. Home schooling is growing at a national average of about 10%.
Here's the gist of the conversation:

Friend-"Why are you home schooled? Public school is so much better!"
Hannah-"What's better about it?"
Friend-"Home schoolers don't have any friends." (This is Hannah's friend speaking. Duh.)
Hannah-"I have a lot of friends."
Friend-"Home schoolers aren't socialized." (I wonder where she heard this?)
Hannah-"I go to a fine arts school with lots of kids." (Over 500)
Friend-"I've already learned 3 notes in band."
Hannah-"I'm trying out for Honor Band next semester." (Hannah's band class meets for band for 2 hours, once a week. Public school band meets every day.)
Friend-"We're going on a field trip to Bass Hall next week."
Hannah-"We went twice last week."
Friend-"Home schoolers don't have as many activities."
Hannah-"I have church stuff, band, drama, horse riding lessons and I'm in Honor Choir."

Note that I am not condemning anyone for their family's educational choice. I am defending the choice of our family to home school.
The tired argument that home schoolers aren't socialized is just insane. The only "socialization" that my kids are missing is the kind I don't want them to have. Not just the bullying and mean-spirited behavior that I remember from institutionalized school, but being exposed to adult subject matter at an early age.
Another matter is the worldly outlook that public schools are forced to observe. Refusal to teach intelligent design as an alternative to evolution, reluctance to teach purity until marriage, acceptance of alternative lifestyles, etc., etc., etc.
I am in no way blaming school employees for this state of affairs. It is the system that I believe is broken. Government education, just like any other government program, has grown into a beast that feeds on itself. If it were shut down tomorrow, it would devastate our economy. Public education is big business. A majority of property tax goes to public schools, and yet it never seems to be enough. A home school family can provide an excellent education for a fraction of the cost. What is wrong here?
I know very few "bad" teachers or administrators. They are working in a system that has been mismanaged terribly. It has become very much about test scores and preparing adults that will support the economy. The joy of learning is no longer encouraged in teacher or student. The celebration of an inquisitive nature is quickly sacrificed in the noble quest for conformity.
No one knows children like their parents do. No one loves, nor has the vested interest that we have in our children. We know their strengths and weaknesses. A teacher with 20 students does not have time to understand my child that well, nor would I expect them to.
I can tutor them at their own pace. I can let them soar in their strengths and support them in their weaknesses.
"No child gets left behind." We have a more flexible schedule, we are able to take advantage of "teachable moments", we can decide to go the science museum in the middle of the day while we're learning about dinosaurs! I could go on and on. The benefits of home schooling are limitless.
It has been said, "Public schools need Christian kids." Maybe so, but I am not willing to sacrifice my children on the altar of a system that is no longer functioning properly.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! I coudn't have said it better myself!!!

Jennifer Lyman